Running from 25 May–16 June, Vivid Sydney’s Lights for the Wild at Taronga Zoo is back for its 3rd year and once again it won’t disappoint! After the animals have retired to their night quarters for the evening, the Vivid lights take centre stage! The kids will love this nighttime adventure as all their favourite zoo animals come to life in an amazing light display.
What to Expect
From 5:30pm – 9:30pm every night of Vivid, Taronga Zoo is shining a light on conservation and the wonders of wildlife with a spectacular display of light sculptures. Alongside the festival favourites from last year, you’ll meet a whole new mob of awe-inspiring animal light sculptures. Each will tell a fascinating tale about conservation so that you and your kids can learn about these beautiful animals and how Taronga is working to help save 10 species from extinction over the next 10 years.
This might be the most family-friendly of all the Vivid Sydney events. Capped ticketing and session times means crowds will be minimal and you will get to enjoy each display at a leisurely pace. The Zoo is very pram friendly and the displays are simply gorgeous. We loved our visit as did the kids! While there is a cost involved, it’s definitely worth it and every ticket purchased helps to support Taronga’s work in conservation and wildlife care.
- There are now THREE sessions each night: 5:30pm, 6:30pm, 7:30pm, with last entry at 8:30pm. Children under 4 are free
- Monday to Thursday – Adults: $23.95, Children: $17.95
- Friday to Sunday & Public Holidays – Adults: $26.95, Children: $18.95
- BOOK HERE
- Note: tickets don’t include daytime entry to the Zoo
- A number of food and beverage outlets are open for a light dinner or snack (sandwiches, sausage rolls, pies, etc)
- Additional Vivid-only food and beverage pop-ups will also be open
- Dinner sessions at The View restaurant are available to book as an add-on to your Vivid experience via Moshtix
- Taronga Zoo is very pram friendly. So much so that if you forget yours, you can hire a pram from the Zoo Shop for $15!
- The light walk will take approximately 1 to 1 ½ hours at a comfortable pace
- There is pram parking at the Sky Safari (which is a round trip)
- Parking at the Zoo is free for the first 90 minutes and then $9 after that (after 4pm rate), however, Taronga Zoo encourages public transport use as the car park has limited space
- The Zoo is located 12 minutes from Circular Quay by ferry or a short bus trip from the CBD or North Sydney. Additional ferry services to Circular Quay and bus services to Spit Junction will be running from the zoo during Vivid
- Vivid Sydney at Taronga Zoo will proceed rain or shine
- Ponchos and umbrellas are available to purchase at the Zoo’s retail outlets
For information on other Vivid Sydney precincts, check out our Vivid 2018 Family Survival Guide!