by Tracey Lynch
This dish and variations of this dish are on high rotation in our slow cooker! There’s nothing more satisfying to this busy mum than being able to prep a nutritious and tasty meal in under 20 minutes. This is my easy peasy chicken casserole, loved by all the family and an ailing neighbour or two!
- 2kg chicken breast – diced
- 300g streaky bacon – diced
- 500ml white wine
- 4 large onions – diced
- 8 stalks celery – diced
- 1kg carrots – diced
- 1 cup plain flour
- 4 tablespoons Vegeta Gourmet Stock
- 1 small tub tomato purée
- Salt Pepper
- Olive oil
- Fry bacon until golden.
- Coat chicken in plain flour, then fry in batches until brown all over.
- Add both to the slow cooker.
- Sauté onion, celery & carrots until just soft and add to the slow cooker.
- Deglaze pan with wine, tomato paste & Vegeta.
- Add to the slow cooker and set to low for 6 hours.
Once cooled, separate into portion-sized containers and freeze.
This will keep frozen for around 3 months, though never lasts that long in our house!
The joy of having a meal like this tucked away in my freezer means I can have this healthy, hearty and guilt-free dinner on the table around 10 minutes after walking through the door after work – way quicker than finding the take out menu!
To reheat, zap in the microwave or reheat gently on the stove. Serve with steamed rice & brocollini.