In January 2021, Gateway Community High, Carlingford will open its doors to Year 9 and 10 students. This independent school will provide opportunities for young people to thrive in an educational setting tailored to support their learning and belonging.
Gateway reimagines the middle-high school experience for young people who don’t necessarily fit the standard school system and will thrive in a smaller, more supportive environment. The school will specifically focus on Year 9 &10 students to enable them to complete the Year 10 NSW Record of School Achievement (ROSA), and provide a gateway to ongoing education or training, whether that be Year 11 and 12 or vocational training.
The school offers an opportunity for students to thrive by gaining a real sense of confidence and belonging. Their alternative approaches will be unique and students will be expected to be the drivers of their own educational destiny. It’s a place of flexible, engaging, and practical learning where students can reconnect with their learning.
Gateway is not a special needs or behavioural school – it’s an alternative high school with tailored support and special assistance dedicated to students who are unique in their own way and who:
- Will thrive outside a mainstream educational environment
- Are looking for a place of belonging and safety
- Are interested in learning and willing to put in the effort to succeed
- Would benefit from extra support and attention to re-engage in their education
- May have missed some language, literacy or numeracy fundamentals
- Are looking to build their pathway to future Vocational Education Training (VET) or Year 11 and 12 studies.
“We engage students in experiential-style learning, provide specialist language, literacy, or numeracy help where necessary, and build in additional time for students to pursue their own interests and projects. We have a strictly no homework policy and incorporate a healthy exercise program that enhances individual health and wellbeing. We’re confident this program gives students the boost they need” says Ms. Collignon, Gateway Community High CEO.
The school is an initiative of Macquarie Community College, which has been providing vocational education for adults with barriers to learning for 70 years.
Gateway Community High is hosting 3 open days, where you can hear first-hand why Gateway Community High could be the right school for your child:
- Wed, 11 November: 4PM – 6PM
- Sat, 14 November: 10AM – 12PM
- Thu, 19 November: 4PM – 6PM
Bookings are essential – BOOK OPEN DAY TICKETS HERE.