by Tracey Lynch
This week I have so much on. The life of a full time working mummy is hectic. So much so, that I haven’t had time to write an article let alone cook up something fab to show you. Therefore, in the words of every TV chef known to women; here’s one I prepared earlier!
There are no real quantities, just go orange and add more of the vegetable you want to dominate and, being a tight ass, this means I pick whatever is on special and in season. Orange soup freezes well for up to 3-6 months to use at a later date when you’re time-poor!
I promise it’s just as simple as it sounds, this mummy hasn’t got time for a zillions steps!
- Pumpkin/butternut squash
- Sweet potato
- Water/chicken or vegetable stock or cubes
- Peel and chop everything into smallish chunks (the smaller they are the faster they will cook)
- Throw into a pot of cold water (allow the veggies to be covered and then a little bit more) add stock/cubes and boil until tender – l use my Crumble.co cast iron dutch over to do this – for fast and even heating
- Purée with a stick blender
- Season to taste with salt and pepper… Done!
- a chunk of crusty bread
- a dollop of sour cream & chives
- curry coated toasted pumpkin seeds
- fresh cream and chilli flakes
- for a Thai inspired soup… stir through some ready-made red Thai curry paste. Garnish with toasted coconut & chopped coriander
- for a Chinese inspired soup… stir through some grated ginger and garnish with chopped and crispy Lap Cheong (Chinese sausage), and drizzle a little sesame oil over each bowl
- go Greek with crumbled feta and oregano
- for a touch of Italy why not stir through some pesto
- for a middle eastern touch garnish with some dukkah and a drizzle of honey or pomegranate molasses