Given we are all spending a little more time at home with the kids, we thought it would be fun to share 7 of our favourite kid-friendly recipes. Don’t worry, they’re all 5-10 minute recipes so no 3-hatted chefs are required!
All the recipes are easy, fun and best of all DELICIOUS!
This is a really fun one and they’re surprisingly easy to make! They taste like they are fresh from the bakery but BETTER – the kids will go gah-gah for them!
- 1 egg
- 3 puff pastry sheets
- pinch of mixed herbs (your selection)
- 3/4 cup tasty cheese
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese
1. Whisk an egg and brush over 3 puff pastry sheets
2. Sprinkle 3/4 cup tasty cheese & 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese over sheets
3. Sprinkle with a pinch of mixed herbs and garlic powder if you like
4. Put the 3 layers on top of each other and cut into approx 1cm wide strips
5. Twist each one and lay it on a baking tray
6. Bake for approx 20 minutes or until golden at 210 degrees Celcius.
Store in an airtight container and you can even pop in the oven to reheat slightly (but keep crispy).
This recipe is a true WINNER! Kids actually love these muffins and you can pack them full of goodness using whatever you have in the fridge! Think left-over vegetables, ham, cheese and more!
Check out the recipe here.
Easy Cheese and Bacon Rolls
- 125g self-raising flour (or GF)
- 200g plain Greek yoghurt
- 75g light tasty cheese
- 100g short cut bacon/bacon bits/ham
- 1 egg, whisked (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and lightly grease or line a baking tin/dish or skillet
2. Cook half of the bacon in a non-stick pan until lightly crispy, set aside
3. Add the dough ingredients to a bowl and mix with a wooden spoon or spatula until just combined, then use your hands to knead the dough a few times until smooth and comes together (add an extra tbs or 2 of flour if the mixture is too sticky).
4. Transfer the dough onto a floured bench. Roll the dough out into a rectangle and cut it into 6 pieces
5. Place a tsp of cooked bacon in the centre of each piece, top with cheese and fold each corner in to seal it like a parcel
6. Place buns seal side down in your skillet/baking tin. Brush the tops of each bun with egg wash. Top with uncooked bacon and extra cheese.
7. Bake for 20-25 minutes until cheese is golden brown
Low-Sugar Banana Bread
This is a SUPER easy one and doesn’t involve any baking at all! Originally we wrote about it for Easter but truth be told – anytime is a good time to decorate some classic arrowroot biscuits! Find the recipe here.
You might have your own preferred pikelet recipe but in case you don’t this Taste one is sure to please. We have made it both with and without the sugar, so feel free to omit it if you like!
Kids will love helping you prepare these as well and chopping up the toppings such as sliced banana, strawberries. Other delish toppings include blueberries, honey and maple syrup!
5 ingredient no-guilt cookies (& they’re vegan)
We’re all about anything that takes 5 minutes (becasue when kids are involved you obviously triple/quadruple that time!). For this easy peasy recipe you’ll need:
- 1 banana
- 1 cup oats
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup nut butter
- 3 tbs maple syrup/honey
- Mash the banana, add the rest of the ingredients, mix together and put them in the oven for 15mins on 180 degrees.
The best part – here are some awesome extras you can add in to change it up:
- Choc chips
- Vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup desiccated coconut