A new beach is about to open in Rhodes at McIlwaine Park along the Parramatta River!
While swimming is not currently permitted, plans are underway to make it swim-friendly in the near future. However, visitors are welcome to enjoy wading in the rock pools and building sandcastles in the sand.
This recent transformation, funded by the NSW Government in collaboration with the City of Canada Bay, boasts an $8.7 million upgrade that has given the riverside park a new lease of life. Already a popular spot with 3 playground areas, BBQs, picnic tables and lots of grass, there’s even more to love about Mcllwaine Park now!
The project works included:
- Upgrades to the foreshore areas of the park to provide a new accessible pathway along the foreshore
- Installation of pedestrian lighting
- New environmentally friendly seawall incorporating natural rockpools for biodiversity
- Construction of a beach area
- Improved facilities for water activities such as kayaking, rowing and stand-up paddle boarding
- New accessible BBQ and picnic facilities
- Native landscaping including the planting of 22 new trees.
The grand opening of this new beach is on Saturday, November 18th, 10am – 1pm. Enjoy a free BBQ, entertainment for children, live music, and other attractions – it will be a great day out! More info here.
Well done to City of Canada Bay Council, Our Living River, Sydney Water and the collaborative efforts of everyone involved in realizing this development.
- Address: Concord Rd & Mary Street, Rhodes
- Council: City of Canada Bay