Local mum Tracey Lynch believes when it comes to saving money, every cent counts! She has figured out some great ways to save money around the home in winter – here are her best tips!
- Heat the person, not the house! Dress in layers, wear a beanie, wear socks made of natural fibres. There’s nothing worse than sweaty feet!
- Block draughts – time to buy a door snake perhaps. But don’t neglect other draughty spots like cat/dog flaps, post flaps, gaps around windows
- Use the sun; it’s free! Open your blinds/curtains to allow the sun to stream in. Then just before the sun goes down, shut the curtains to harness the heat that you’ve “captured”
- No need to set the thermostat to +30 degrees! If you’re dressed warm, have your air conditioning or gas heater set to 21-24 degrees to save on power. Each degree less will save about 10% on your energy use
- Use ceiling fans… Yes in winter!!! Remember year 7 science class? Hot air rises!!! Pointless keeping it all up there, turn your ceiling fans on to move that heat right through the room!
- Cook in your oven! Perfect time for a long slow braise in the oven. It will ensure your kitchen remains toasty warm and subsequently a warm tummy will ensue!
- Clean the vents and filters on your air con to allow it access to fresh air to run more efficiently
- Put down a rug. Up to 10% of heat loss can be attributed to timber floor boards and even more for tiles!
- Use a timer. No need to run heating all day and night, just program it to heat your home and the required rooms when you need them
- Last but not least; insulate your home. It will cost money now but save you later and keep you warm in the meantime.
How do you save money in winter? Let us know!!