With a population of 13,394 people as collected by the 2016 Census, West Ryde is one of the bigger suburbs in our area. It is located just 16km from the Sydney CBD and shares its 2114 postcode with the neighbouring suburbs of Denistone, Denistone West, Meadowbank and Melrose Park. It is a 35-40 minute train ride from the city or a drive of approximately 30-45 minutes depending on the time of day (can be 1 hour at peak times).
“West Ryde is an area that has increased in popularity over the past few years, mainly due to the variety of properties on offer and the median price point being slightly cheaper than neighbouring suburbs like Ryde and Eastwood. This, in turn, makes it more affordable yet still allowing immediate access to major transport such as West Ryde Station and Bus routes on Victoria Rd. The development of the West Ryde shopping precinct has also helped the area grow in serviceability and some of the parks in the area are fantastic for young families.” Michael Dowling, McGrath Ryde
West Ryde is serviced by both trains and buses. The train line is the Epping/Hornsby line and buses go towards Parramatta and also the city along Victoria Road.
Land was granted in the West Ryde area in 1798 and 1799, these were part of the Meadowbank grants. Major Edward Darvall purchased land in 1849 and built Ryedale House and surrounded it with orchards. The land stayed in the Darvall family until the early 1900s when it was subdivided after the death of Edward Darvall’s second wife Jane. It was the decision to locate the railway station at West Ryde that resulted in the area’s development as a suburb. The railway from Strathfield to Hornsby was opened in 1886 (Source: City of Ryde). West Ryde has a number of historical buildings including Addington, the second oldest building in existence in Australia.
- Ryde Eastwood Leagues Club (has a kids’ play area)
- Page Cafe (has a kids’ play area)
- Moeru Japanese Restaurant
- Once Upon a Time
- The Barn
- Element 6
- and many more!
- West Ryde Miniature Trains – a must do. On the 3rd Saturday of the month, this is a wonderful day out
- Lions Park
- Anzac Park (upgrade planned by City of Ryde for late 2018)
- Miriam Park
- West Ryde Public School (Kindergarten -Year 6)
- Marsden High School (Year 7- Year 12)
- Colour My World Children’s Centre (0-5 year olds)
- West Ryde Long Day Care Centre (0-5 year olds)
- West Ryde Early Learning Centre (0-5 year olds)
- Headstart Early Learning Centre West Ryde (0-5 year olds)
- Blossoms Child Care & Early Learning Centre (0-5 year olds)
- Goodstart Early Learning West Ryde (0-5 year olds)
- West Ryde Neighbourhood Children’s Centre (0-5 year olds)
Shopping & other
- West Ryde Market Place
- Various shops flank both sides of the railway station
- Various shops along Victoria Road