Having been a keen customer of The Source Bulkfoods at Rhodes Waterside for the last 18 months, RDM Boss Lady Jess was really excited when offered to chance to collaborate with them on a featured article. The shop is run by a local family – Gavin and Ness along with their little boy Bodhi. Gavin and Ness also have four fur kids called Bo, Bonnie, Leroy and Poppy. Aren’t they cute as heck??
So what is it?
If you haven’t visited The Source Bulkfoods (there are a few around), their philosophy is to sell nutritious food with zero waste and they do they by way of bulk bins. Essentially, from their big containers, customers use small containers to buy whatever size portion they need. They sell everything from vegan, paleo, dairy free, organic and gluten friendly food options to locally sourced honey, cooking oils, natural cleaning products and personal care products. Although different, it’s a really fun way to shop. Kid’s will absolutely love shopping with you as well, and we’ve heard many a child especially enjoying crushing their own peanut butter instore.
How does it work?
You can either bring in your own containers to fill or use the paper bags they provide for free OR purchase their glass jars which you can reuse there next time. If you bring in your own jars you have them weighed before you fill your jars so that you only pay for the product you buy.
Anyone who knows Jess knows she’s an enviro-warrior so especially loves The Source Bulkfoods for the way they encourage zero-waste shopping. Because you can buy as much or as little as you need, this not only reduces the use of unnecessary packaging but also reduces food wastage.
From sourcing their produce locally to their plastic bag free promise, The Source Bulk Foods say they are continually finding new ways to embrace the zero waste mentality and are proud of how much packaging they’ve helped to can save from landfill.
Jess’s top 10 fave items from The Source Bulkfoods Rhodes:
- Made on-the-spot peanut butter (almond, cashew and other nuts available)
- Chicken and beef broth powder (organic & made from scratch so saves you the hard work!)
- Ready-made protein balls – the perfect treat to snack on mid grocery shop ;P
- Kombucha on tap – multiple flavours
- Recipe-in-a-jar options e.g. chocolate brownie, gluten-free Christmas cake and more.
- Paleo muesli (ok and the granola too!)
- Unusual flours that a recipe only calls for a small amount of e.g. organic arrowroot flour or organic slippery elm flour
- Stainless steel straw plus cleaner
- Sweet treats (give the salted caramel cashew vegan chocolate a try! So gooooood!)
- Lemon Myrtle disinfectant cleaner (bought by MLS so buy what you need)
Make sure you join The Source Bulkfoods free membership program to get 5% back from your purchase as a credit on your membership. They even run a special member day each month. This June members got a huge 15% off and a further 5% off if members bring their own containers.
Also, each quarter they offer free members postcard size mini-cookbook to inspire you and your creations.
- Mon – Wed & Fri: 9am – 6:30pm
- Thurs: 9am – 9pm
- Saturday: 9am – 6pm
- Sunday: 10am – 6pm
Location: Shop 31, Rhodes Waterside 1 Rider Boulevard Rhodes (next door to Coles)
Phone: 9743 5738
This is a sponsored post but the words and thoughts in the article are a genuine reflection of our experience.