If Parramatta Park wasn’t already fantastic enough, as described here by RDM Rebecca Lee, it just got even better with a $1.5 million upgrade of the playground now called Paperback Playground at Pavilion Flat!
Located near the George St Gatehouse on the eastern side of the park, this new inclusive playground is packed full of awesome features that the kids will enjoy for hours on end.
- HUGE sand and water play area with lots of buckets, moving wheels/spinning wheels – kids can fill them with sand and interact till their heart’s content. You might want to take a change of clothes so the kids can really enjoy the space and get dirty
- Great variety of swings including a vortex swing, tandem swing (means your little one can sit opposite you and you can swing together) and then a bucket swing for young ones
- Sensory equipment
- Music area with chimes and drums
- A giant ‘explorer dome’ with nets, ropes, ladders and tunnels for kids to climb, balance and crawl
- Balance beams
- Small slide with steps that’s a little like a fort (aimed at toddlers)
- Lots of grass area for picnics
- Plenty of picnic tables
As yet, there are no permanent toilets – they’ll be rebuilt soon, but portaloos area available until then.
In terms of nosh and coffee nearby, the cafe located on George Street formerly inhabited by the Grounds Keeper Cafe sadly closed in May. Parramatta Park Trust is looking for a new cafe to lease the venue – watch this space for any updates!
The park is located near the George Street gateway – when you enter the park via the main entrance you’ll need to turn left (one way) and follow path nearly the WHOLE way around until you reach playground to the right of Bankwest stadium. There’s plenty of free 2P parking available nearby.
Coffee close by: 0.5 (near the entry point to Parramatta Park there is the High Tea Rooms)
Shade sails: 1 – Shade from trees and shade sails
Bike/scooter track: 1 (lots of options in Parramatta Park for this!)
Noteworthy feature/s: 1 – inclusive for all ages and disabilities!
Can host a party (BBQ, tables, toilets): 1
Gated / safe: 0.5 – safe from road but not fenced