by Tracey Lynch
If you want:
– A budget friendly meal for under 10 bucks
– Dinner in under 10 minutes and not a drive through in sight
– Dinner that can be frozen and reheated at will… (I freeze into lunch size containers for a quick lunch at my desk)
– Dinner that’s jam packed full of vitamins A, B1, B6, C, E, K, iron, folate, fibre… oh my goodness, the goodness just goes on and on!
– A meal that makes you forget that you’ve eaten poorly all weekend
Then this is the soup for you!
This is so embarrassingly easy that I feel like fraud even calling this a recipe, but here goes! It’s as simple as:
- 750 gm broccoli
- 120 gm baby spinach
- 2 litres chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons vegeta gourmet stock powder
- Bring vegeta and chicken stock to the boil
- Chop the broccoli stems into small pieces then boil until just soft
- Add the bright green broccoli florets, boil for 4-5 minutes
- Add the baby spinach – stir until wilted (literally within seconds!)
- Remove pot the heat and blitz with a stick blender until smooth
The key to keeping it nice and bright green in colour is not cooking the life out it! So once everything is just soft remove it from the heat. Oh and if you have a fuss pot little eater like me, calling it swamp soup helps, as does a dollop of Greek yoghurt as a submarine!
One last tip for those who freeze for work lunches: Be warned, you WILL have green bits between your teeth and if you work with polite folk like I do, then you know none of them will point it out… and you’ll end up cringing at the mirror at your 4pm bathroom break!!!