Winter is a great time to go fruit picking with the kids. Most Farms have a small entry fee ($3-5 but kids under 5 are mostly free) and then you either pay by weight or by bucket for the fruit you pick. The fruit is usually excellent value and the freshest you will find! Some offer more than just fruit picking – they also have honey and other farm-fresh goodies available, farm animals to pet/feed, places to have a picnic and more!
Here are some great options, all within 1 – 1.5 hours or so of Ryde.
Watkins Family Farm
1006 Singleton Mills Road, Laughtondale ( Wiseman’s Ferry)
You’ll find: Hickson and Emperor Mandarins as well as honey and other goodies such as mushrooms. Make sure you say hi to the friendly farm animals and enjoy a picnic while there!
- Opening Hours: Saturday & Sunday from 10am to 4pm from Saturday 26th May 2018 until sold out for the season!
- Drive time from Ryde: 1 hour & 15 minutes
- Phone: 0418 233 466
- More information here (NB check out their directions given current road closures).
Andersons Farm (opens early June for 2018 season)
951 to 968 Sackville Ferry Rd, Sackville North
You’ll find: Emperor, Imperial & Hickson Mandarins and Washington Navel Oranges, along with Seville oranges later in the season.
- Opening Hours: 10am to 4pm every day
- Drive time from Ryde: 1 hour (longer if you go via the oh-so-fun car ferry)
- Phone: 4579 1120 or 0414 503 955
Bilpin Springs Orchard
2550 Bells Line of Road, Bilpin
You’ll find: Granny Smith and Sundowner apples, pears & stone fruit
- Opening Hours: Saturday 7am to 1pm (check their website for open times as it can vary from week to week)
- Drive time from Ryde: 1 hour, 30 minutes
- Phone: 4567 1294
- More information here
Check out their awesome chart of what fruits are in-season and when:
1275 Singleton Road, Laughtondale (via Wisemans Ferry)
You’ll find: Mandarins, oranges, limes, lemons, homemade jams & chutneys, animals to feed animals & places to enjoy a BYO picnic.
- Opening Hours: Saturday & Sunday 10am to 4pm until fruit is picked (if coming in July check to see if there is still fruit available for picking!)
- Drive time from Ryde: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- Phone: 4566 3127
- More information here (NB make sure to check out their best tips on how to get there)
27-29 Canoelands road, Canoelands
You’ll find: nectarines are their core fruit, but they also grow plums and peaches, tomatoes, passionfruit and blueberries. They also have honey, jams, coffee, bee tours, tractor tours and MORE!
- Opening Hours: 9am to 5pm every day during harvest times
- Phone: 0419 688 039
- Drive time from Ryde: 50 minutes
- More information here
Check out the chart below to see what they have on offer and when: