This is one of those ‘jackpot’ recipes that gets passed on from school mum to school mum. Why? The kids actually eat it, it’s healthy and it’s easy to make. An added bonus these muffins work with most of the ingredients in your fridge (especially the ones that need to be used up!).
Now when we say easy, we really mean it – you’ll never need to get out a recipe because there are only 3 base ingredients and you need ONE CUP of all 3 of them! Then add whatever chopped veggies you please. Simple.
- One cup of self-raising flour
- One cup of milk
- One cup of grated cheese
Anything! Here are some examples:
- grated carrot
- grated zucchini
- corn kernels
- diced ham
- diced capsicum
- frozen veggies!
- lentils, kidney beans… seriously ANYTHING!
Other Optional Ingredients:
- 1/2 teaspoon of mixed herbs
- 1 teaspoon of minced garlic
- 2 eggs (lightly whisked before adding)
If you want to add some extra flavour, a bit of extra protein and make these a bit more parent-friendly, feel free to get creative with extra ingredients. The eggs do add an element of fluffiness, not that kids care too much about that! Having said all this, the original recipe is just great as it is!
- Add all ingredients in a bowl and mix well
- Spray a muffin tin (so the muffins don’t stick)
- Bake at 180 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until they have risen and have turned golden brown
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days