We all know that libraries stock books, but did you know there are some libraries that stock TOYS? At these libraries, you can borrow toys like you would borrow books, CDs or DVDs!
Toys can be expensive to purchase and sometimes they don’t get as much use as you might have hoped! Borrowing toys means:
- your kids get to try out a range of different toys at either for FREE or at a low cost
- they can learn the different skills required of the toys (many are educational)
- learn about sharing and co-op groups
- you’ll have reduced storage management issues at home
- save on landfill (from unused or unwanted toys)
We’ve even discovered a toy library at Artarmon that has a wonderful range of toys for children with special needs. All the details are listed below.
Similar to the policy that applies when borrowing books DVDs and other library items, fees will apply if you damage or lose a toy or return them with missing pieces. The fee varies per location and details can be found in the guidelines (where applicable, below).
So where are these toy libraries and how do they work?
North Ryde Toy Library | City of Ryde
201 Coxs Road, North Ryde
Who can borrow? Any child up to 7 years of age with their own membership. There is no charge to be a member or borrow the toys.
North Ryde Toy Library Guidelines:
- Three toys per child may be borrowed for up to three weeks.
- No reservations may be placed on toys.
- 1 renewal for loans of toys.
- Toys may only be borrowed from and returned to North Ryde Library during branch library opening hours.
- Puzzles need to be handed to staff completed (not with pieces loose). When you return a toy, you must wait for staff to check that it is in good condition before another can be borrowed.
- Borrowing cannot continue until payment is made for any loss or damage.
- An overdue notice will be sent when toys are overdue and will incur a processing fee per notice. For every week the toy is overdue after the notice has been sent until each toy is returned, a weekly fine per toy will be charged.
- Tuesday: 10am – 5pm
- Monday, Wednesday and Thursday: 12 noon – 8pm
- Friday: 12 noon – 5pm
- Saturday: 9.30am – 12 noon
- Sunday: Closed
For more information, click here.
Phone: 9952 8377
Ryde Library & West Ryde Library Science Kits | City of Ryde
1 Pope St, Ryde
2 Graf Ave, West Ryde
Who can borrow: These kits are designed for children 7 and over who have a membership (membership is free). The kits include microscopes, globes, mini beasts, simple machines, dinosaurs, skeletons and much much more.
- Anyone from 7yrs and above can borrow science kits. It’s easy to join the library and borrow.
- Three kits can be borrowed for 3 weeks; there are no reservations
- One renewal per kit
- Kits can only be returned to the library from which they were borrowed and must be returned when the library is open.
- Replacement costs apply for any lost or damaged kit or kit pieces and boxes. If the kit cannot be used if a piece is broken or missing the cost of the whole kit applies.
For more information click here.
Phone: 9952 8352
Christian Community Aid Family Day Care – Eastwood Toy Library
12 Lakeside Rd, Eastwood
Who can borrow: You need to be a member and you borrow on behalf of your child/ren. The cost is $30 for 6 months or $60 for 12 months.
No information is available their website about the toy library. Best to call them if you have a question.
- Monday: 9am – 4:30pm
- Wednesday: 10:30am – 6pm
- Friday: 9am – 4:30pm
Phone: 9874 0066
Burwood Toy Library | Burwood Council
2 Conder St, Burwood
Who can borrow: Children with a membership (membership is free). The toys are suitable for children 0-6 years. No further information available on Burwood Council’s website.
- Thursdays: 11.00am-1.00pm
- Saturdays: 9.30am-11.30am (loans only)
- Closed all other days.
Phone: 9911 9999
Sunny Corner Toy Library – Auburn
12 Station Rd, Auburn
Who can borrow: Any child up to 6 years of age, there is a small yearly membership fee of $60.
Sunny Corner Toy Library Guidelines:
Members must wipe toys clean with an antibacterial solution. Some washable toys may require soaking with Napisan or similar products.
Supervision is required whilst children are using the toys. Toys are less likely to be damaged or lost if you set aside a “Special Time” to use them and provide close adult supervision.
If a toy is accidentally broken or a piece is missing discuss this with the Toy Library Coordinator – volunteers know well what to do and may have the necessary spare parts for fixing it if the damage is minimal, however being a not-for-profit organization, resources are scarce and a replacement cost might be incurred.
If for any reason a member is not able to return the toys by the due date, he/she may phone and get an extension, usually of one extra week. On the contrary, a $5.50 per extra week fine will be charged.
- Monday: closed
- Tuesday: 1 – 5pm
- Wednesday: closed
- Thursday: 10am – 2pm
- Friday: closed
- Saturday: 10am – 2pm
- Sunday: closed
For more information, visit their website here.
Phone: 9649 8173
Noah’s Ark Toy Library – Artarmon Kid’s Cottage Community Centre
18 Broughton Rd, Artarmon
Who can borrow: Any child with a special need whether physical, intellectual or sensory, temporary or permanent may join the library. Groups are welcome. Many of the clients attend an early intervention program, specialist therapy session, speech pathologist or special education unit and use this resource to continue their therapy programs at home. There is no age limit but toys are generally suitable for children 0-6 years developmentally. (As taken from Noah’s Ark website). There is a membership fee of $60 for families and $100 for groups per year.
Noah’s Ark Toy Library Guidelines:
- Nine items from different categories according to the child’s needs can be borrowed for up to one month. However, changing toys fortnightly is encouraged.
- Should you have any difficulty attending the library to return toys on a specific day you need to contact the office to make alternative arrangements.
- Monday: 10.00am -12.30pm
- Tuesday: closed
- Wednesday: 10.00am -12.30pm
- Thursday: closed
- Friday: closed
- Saturday: 10.00am -12.30pm
- Sunday: closed
For more information, you can visit their website here.
Phone: 9411 4429